- THE OLD TOWN AND THE ANDRIA CATHEDRAL (50 m)
The historic center of Andria is one of the largest of the South of Italy. It still saves its original shape: small streets, alleys, underground and open-air passages with noble palaces of feudalism age, damp farmhouses called “bassi”, prestigious churches and the three bell towers, masterpieces of stone architecture that only the city of Andria can admire. The Cathedral dedicated to Assumption of the Virgin Mary and the suggestive Crypt; the Church of Sant’Agostino, defined as a “national monument” for its artistic value and its precious entrance portal; the Church of San Francesco and its magnificent cloister; the Church of San Domenico, in whose sacristy the body of Duke Francesco II del Balzo is kept. The Church of San Nicola Di Myra, one of the oldest churches in the city which dates back to 1104; it is located close to the first settlement “grotte Sant’Andrea”: an intricate complex of tufaceous caves which was demolished in the 1950s due to poor hygienic conditions. Via Fellecchia offers you a faithful image of what the original neighborhood was like.
2. “CASAMUSEO BORGOMURGIA”
Immerse yourself in the past and discover Casamuseo Borgomurgia where the history of the city and its inhabitants becomes a pleasant tale. An ideal route that develops inside Borgomurgia and in the streets that surround it; we will tell you about objects, places, significant symbols of our past, but even more of our present.
Casamuseo Borgomurgia offers you an experiential and sensorial journey, a journey through time that projects you into the places of court life in an elegant building. Underground walkways, panoramic views, ancient caves and farmhouses; large cisterns at a depth of 12 meters. Stone quarries and rock stratifications in which fossil finds dating back millions of years are set like gems.
Buy ticket online at www.casamuseo.net
3. “MUSEO DIOCESANO SAN RICCARDO” (300 m)
The 20th – century palace Margiotta was selected to house the section of Andria, named after Saint Richard, it is located in the historical centre and used to welcome the Community of Farmhands. The museum itinerary is divided into three stages, from history to the actions of spiritual and organizational renewal of the diocese.The museum preserves liturgical objects and sacred furnishings as evidence of the desire to honor the faith through beauty.
- “MUSEO DEL CONFETTO” (160 m)
The Museum is inside the original historical site of the “Premiata Fabbrica Mucci Giovanni” dal 1894 in Via Museo del Confetto 12, where the founder Nicola Mucci opened the first laboratory in 1894. The Confetti Museum recounts and preserves ancient traditions with an impetus to the future and to experimentation of new tastes and techniques that intrigue the palate of its visitors. In recent years the museum has been recognized by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and it is a member of the Historical Places of Italy circuit. The Mucci company as well as their museum are a point of reference for all Andria inhabitants and a source of pride.
5. CAVE CHURCH OF SANTA CROCE
The church of Santa Croce is located in a part of the town known as the “Lagnoni”, characterized by tuffaceous banks in which there are large natural cavities dug out by rainwater. The phenomenon, typical of karst phenomena, has favored the settlement in caves typical of the rock civilization, of which Andria retains several attestations.
Its oldest phase dates back to the 10th century, when the hall with a trapezoidal basilican plan was excavated in the tufaceous bank, presumably remodeling already existing natural caves.
6. BURRATA DI ANDRIA (950 m)
Burrata di Andria PGI is a small, round sack of spun cheese that is white and shiny, with a characteristic closed top. It is a cheese made from cow’s milk and obtained from the combination of cream and spun cheese.
The “Caseificio Olanda” produces Burrata only with selected cow’s milk, coming from local farms and welcomes visitors in a laboratory-museum so that they can get to know and taste their other extraordinary dairy products (by reservation).
7. SANCTUARY OF THE MADONNA DEI MIRACOLI (3km)
The Sanctuary of the Madonna dei Miracoli (Patron Saint of the city together with San Riccardo) has been a fundamental religious reference for the city of Andria since 10 March 1576 when the fresco of the Madonna was discovered. The interior of the Sanctuary has three levels with three churches.
The Sanctuary borders the blade called Santa Margherita and the eighteenth-century Benedictine Monastery (now the seat of the BAT Province and of the Agricultural Technical Institute): these three architectural and naturalistic monumental complexes, taken together, undoubtedly constitute “the most important cultural that the city of Andria possesses after Castel del Monte” for its significant naturalistic and archaeological aspects, for the testimony of rock civilizations typical of the karst terrains, for the geological aspect and the artistic-architectural aspect of the Basilica and of the former convent.
8. OIL MUSEUM (15km)
Andria is one of the most important centers of the National Oil City Association; it is the municipality with the highest number of olive trees in the world, and about 3% of the olive oil produced in Italy comes from here.
Within the splendid setting of Terre di Traiano, an ancient farmhouse surrounded by dozens of hectares of olive trees, the Spagnoletti family decided to return a museum to the city that could celebrate extra virgin olive oil, the “green gold” , with extraordinary organoleptic properties, an essential element of the Mediterranean diet (Unesco intangible heritage). A visit to the historic oil mill and adjoining oil museum is an obligatory step (by reservation).
9. CASTEL DEL MONTE (18 km)
Castel del Monte was built around 1240 on a high hill, about 540 m. above sea level, in the territory of the city of Andria, at the behest of Emperor Frederick II of Swabia. In 1996 it was elected a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the most visited sites of interest in Italy, first in Puglia.
10. THE CITY’S SHOPPING HEADQUARTERS (300 m)
A large community of ambitious, innovative merchants with a diversified offer give prestige and vitality to our city. Treat yourself to a walk after 18.00, it will surprise you.
11. PUBLIC GARDEN (800 m)
Wake up at the first light of dawn, rich breakfast, sports equipment and march towards the Villa Comunale, the green lung of the city, where you can run long kilometers and exercise in the green gym inside the pine forest.